Day Tripping In Canungra
The quaint, country town of Canungra – rich in history, culture and adventure – is located on the Eastern edge of the Scenic Rim; the gateway to the Gold Coast hinterland and World Heritage listed Lamington National Park.
A short one hour drive from Brisbane via Beaudesert, on the Beaudesert-Nerang Road, Canungra was founded in the 1880s by the Lahey family who owned and operated Queensland's largest sawmill. The historic Lahey’s Tramway Tunnel and the beautiful timbers used in the interior of St Luke's Church are the only remnants of the town’s timber past.
The town has retained its old-world charm and is a popular destination with day trippers, motorcyclists, hang-gliders, birdwatchers and bushwalkers.
Eat & Drink
A must-visit on any day trip to Canungra is The Outpost Cafe. This iconic cafe, originally built in 1946, is renowned for its award-winning homemade pies.
Day trippers can enjoy a cold beer and bistro-style take-away from the historic Canungra Hotel, where the Bellissima Guest House built by the Laheys used to stand.
Pick up a gourmet picnic basket, cheeseboard and bottle of wine at O’Reilly’s Canungra Valley Vineyard to enjoy beside the creek.
Things to Do
1. Lahey Tramway Tunnel, used to carry timber from the mountain to the town, was reopened in 2001 for pedestrians and tourists. Visitors can walk down the 90 metre, hand dug sandstone tunnel, located about 1 kilometre from town.
2. Canungra Creek is a favourite spot for bird watching with walking tracks, waterfalls and picnic spots found along the creek.
3. Visit a vineyard and purchase some wine to take home with three boutique wineries located within a 15 kilometre drive from the township.
4. Canungra Village Markets, held on the last Saturday of the month, provide local artists a chance to showcase and sell their wares; from ceramics and jewellery to art and photography, as well as fresh, local produce.
5. The Canungra Rodeo takes place each year in July; featuring bull riding, calf roping, barrel racing, carnival rides, live music and more.